Monday, February 9, 2009

FLOUR!

So, the new word of the day is flour, not the kind you smell, but the kind you make pizza with. Let me explain. One of our favorite kiddos at school has autism, and he is absolutely hysterical. He loves Depeche Mode and knows all the songs by year, album and track within just a few minutes of each song. He is, like most people with autism, very rule structured. On Friday, I see/hear him and Deb walk past my office with the conversation, "I guess I am just going to have to break the rules." I find out later the entire conversation, it goes something like this:

Rob is laying on the floor, resting and picking his nose.
Heather: Rob, please go and wash your hands.
Rob: I don't want to.
Heather: Rob, you need to wash your hands.
Rob: I don't want to.
Heather: One, Two...
Rob: I know, your going to count to four, you always do.

Cut to Rob and Debbie walking down the hall.
Rob: I guess I am just going to have to break the rules. I am just going to have to say the "F" word. Not the number one "F" word, but FLOUR. And not the kind you smell, the kind you make pizza with. FLOUR!

In light of everything that happened today, that is all I have to say: FLOUR!

3 comments:

Jared said...

We have a new Autism unit here this year and I am really enjoying it. I had a student last semester who had a new deep question for me nearly every day. My favorite was, "Do you think that the universe is infinite or expanding exponentially?" To which my reply was, "That's easy, it is neither of those. But you are close: the universe is infinitely expanding." I don't have any of those kids this semester, and I am going through withdrawl.

eugie74 said...

Kelly! It is sooo good to hear form you. This is synchronicity at its best - I looked out the window and saw a woman at the park getting into her car. I couldn't see her face but she reminded me of you. I thought. "I winder how Kelly is doing?" then turned around and read your comment on my blog sixty seconds later. I love when stuff like that happens.

I noticed you follow nienie's blog. My sister Mindy has been a part of the recent fundraising concerts to help the Nielsen's. Small world.

P.S. Orson is absolutely adorable! He is so lucky to have you and Gary.

eugie74 said...

Oh, and I've wanted to tell you for years that when I read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" I thought of you. I'm sure you've read it, yes??