Saturday, January 22, 2011

Logandale, Nevada




End of the semester + Martin Luther King Day = 4 day weekend. We hadn't made any plans for the 4 day weekend, just going to hang out, ski, clean etc. Garry calls me at work and has decided we should go and meet his folks in Mesquite and then drive down to Logandale. Great plan, it is warm and sunny there, has red rocks, things I hadn't seen in a while. OK, let's go. Never mind the fact I haven't done laundry or gone shopping. Well, the laundry didn't get done, but we managed to leave town by 5:00!

Logandale is about 25 miles south of Mesquite so we just spent the night in there and Garry was able to de-winterize the trailer and fill up our tanks before we headed out to the desert. It was 65 - 70 degrees and sunny! Good thing it didn't get too cool at night as our furnace quit working. It was chilly in the morning but we managed.

We went looking for a map of the area and ended up driving out to Lake Mead and Callville Bay. We had to ride a shuttle out to the Marina, where of all places, they a small map of the area (the only place that had one!). Orson fed the ugly carp some popcorn while we were at the Marina.



After seeing Lake Mead we went the the Valley of Fire, a Nevada State Park. I might be a little biased, but they have nothing on Utah. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, I just like home I guess.



We went on a little trail called Mouse Tank, it is a small natural place that water collects. On the way to the Tank the small canyon has tons of Fremont Indian pictures on the walls.



There are a lot of small arches and windows and we even saw a Mountain Sheep!









We did a little exploring on the Rhinos, the Northern end of the rock formation that is the Valley of Fire has a loop that circles around it with small trails going off of it. Orson wants to always stop so he can get out and climb. I think he is half mountain goat.



No comments: